The exterior of the Cleveland Public Auditorium as seen from St. Clair Avenue. Pictured is the Music Hall/Little Theatre addition that was added to the original building in 1928
The stage of the Cleveland Auditorium stands between two great spaces: Public Hall (1921) and Music Hall (1928). Pictured above is Public Hall which can seat 13,000 people.
A view of the Public Hall stage and proscenium arch.
The Music Hall, which was added to the original auditorium building in 1928 can seat 2,700 people.
Also in the 1928 Music Hall addition is the Little Theatre seating several hundred people.
At 5 manuals, 150 ranks with over 10,000 pipes, the organ is the largest built by the Skinner Organ Company of Boston. The organ sits in the stage house and was designed to speak into either room, although despite the organ's size, it cannot be effectively heard in either. This organ contains four 32' voices which can be seen in this picture; the 32' Violone against the left wall, 2nd Bombarde in front of the Great, 1st Bombarde with the Tuba Mirabilis in front of it, and the 32' Diapason behind the 1st Bombarde.
The organ as seen from farther back on stage. The Great sits directly behind the 2nd Bombarde. Behind the Great is the Choir and String organ. The Swell sits on the second and third levels. The fourth level contains the Solo. The Echo is in a chamber at the back of Public Hall. Most of the Echo pipes are now missing.
A closer view of the First Bombarde (20"x20" scale) and Tuba Mirabilis (6" scale) both on 30" wind pressure. The mouths of the 32' Diapason (38"x42") can be seen behind the Bombarde reed boots.
This is the vorsetzer type action that plays the Mason & Hamlin grand piano. The piano keyboard was positioned into the opening so that the pneumatic fingers could push each key. The connection plug (seen laying on top of the player) connected to the organ relay through a plug to the left of the stage. There was also a hose to provide wind for the pneumatic actions, although this no longer exists.
This console replaced the original in 1972. Built by Klann Organ Supply, it duplicates the original console in most aspects. The original console was put into "storage" and now exists in very poor condition.
The right stop jamb containing the stops of the Choir, Great and Solo divisions.
The left stop jamb containing the stops of the Pedal, Swell and Echo divisions.
As is typical on a Skinner organ, the couplers are separated in to Pedal, Unison, and Octave groups.
On the original console, these were lined in one row instead of two.
The expression pedals and toe pistons. Notice that the Echo pedal also controls the loudness of the Piano.